[Translate to english:] Andau Burgenland: Weinanbau im Seewinkel
Home > region > History

History of Andau

By the end of the 19th century, relicts from the Bronze Age (approx. 1000 B.C.), and urnal burial sites and coins dating back to the reign of the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius were found in the Andau region. Throughout the time of the Roman empire until approximately 400 A.D., the Seewinkel was densely populated.

Around 1600, hard times came upon the village. It was ravaged by the Turkish war, when it was repeatedly pillaged and plundered. During the 30-year war, financial straits drove King Mathew to pawn the community to the future counts of Harrach. The counts of Draskovitsch followed, who were greatly responsible for the upkeep of the church. During the 19th century, armies on their way through often set up camp on the plain. The population was also devastated during the same timeframe by several epidemics of cholera. It is also reputed that a terrible plague of grasshoppers destroyed the entire harvest in 1859. On January 12, 1863, Michael Peck planted the first grapevine in Andau.

Large scale winegrowing didn't happen, however, until the end of the 1950's. Today, the majority of the people living in Andau (2,600 people) work in the field of agriculture, whereby the number of winegrowers is about equal to the number of farmers.